Auditor Malpractice Expert Services
When the stakes are high and the accounting issues are complex, members of the SS&G Litigation Consulting team deliver accounting opinions that get the attention of judge and jury.
Dr. Barry Epstein and his team of auditor liability experts are available to assist corporate and securities litigation attorneys in the interpretation, evaluation, and application of the “10 auditing standards” published and maintained by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). A summarized version of the standards appears below.
1. Adequate technical training and proficiency.
2. Independence in mental attitude.
3. Due professional care.
Standards of Field Work
1. Adequate planning and supervision.
2. Sufficient understanding of the entity, including its internal control.
3. Sufficient, appropriate audit evidence by performing audit procedures.
Standards of Reporting
1. Statement in the auditor’s report regarding U.S. GAAP compliance.
2. Identify in the auditor’s report variations between reporting periods.
3. Identify any inadequacy in informative disclosures.
4. Express an opinion regarding the financial statements, or the inability to do so.
The SS&G team offers a level of proficiency, knowledge, and experience that is difficult to match. In addition to our expertise in auditor liability, we can assist you in matters relating to:
- Interpretation of U.S. GAAP and IFRS
- White collar crime
- Financial reporting fraud and securities fraud
- Complex securitization and derivatives disputes
We have been involved in over 120 litigation matters, including many high profile cases arising from such alleged infractions as off-the-books transactions, stock option backdating, and other forms of financial fraud.
Contact Dr. Epstein at 312-464-3520 or via email to discuss potential litigation involving auditor liability.